Seen by some to be one of New England's most elegant communities, Edgartown was Martha's Vineyard's first colonial settlement and has been the county seat since 1642. The stately Greek Revival houses built by the whaling captains have been carefully maintained and make the town a seaport village preserved from the early 19th century.
Main Street views include the harbor and waterfront and although the tall square-riggers that sailed all the world's oceans have passed from the scene, the heritage of these vessels and their captains remains. For the past hundred years, Edgartown has been one of the world's great yachting centers. The town is also known for its architecture with many buildings that pre-date the whaling era and still serve as family homes. Among the oldest buildings are the Vincent House, built in 1672, the Thomas Cooke House, now a museum, and the offices of the Vineyard Gazette. The venerable Old Whaling Church is now a performing arts center.
Public beaches offer surf bathing and bluefish and bass fishing. On Felix Neck, about three miles outside the center of town, 200 acres owned by the Massachusetts Audubon Society provide marked trails and a program of wildlife management and conservation education. Special activities for all age groups are offered throughout the year.
Located on Martha's Vineyard, an island 20 miles long and 10 miles wide situated five miles south of the soutwest tip of Cape Cod. Edgartown is bordered by Oak Bluffs and Nantucket Sound on the north, Katama Bay on the east, the Atlantic Ocean on the south, and West Tisbury on the west. Edgartown is separated from Chappaquiddick Island by Katama Bay.